Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Fathers Day to All Dads!

I had been married several years when I learned that both my father and mother had become Christians, so I did not grow up in a Christian home. I myself had gone to a Christian youth camp at the age of 12 and knelt down at the altar set up by the camp and accepted Christ as Savior, but did not grow or mature in my faith. It was not until after my dad and mom had become Christians, and my son was two years old, that I recommitted my life to Christ.

By not having the experience of a strong Christian father, I grew up with fears and insecurities that I didn't realize were so deep-seated until I became a Christian myself. I couldn't quite grasp the full extent of a Father in Heaven who loved me so unconditionally. It took me years to comprehend fully that I did not have to work and strive so hard to please my Father in heaven. It was not by my works or deeds that He saved me, and it was not by my works or deeds that would keep me saved. I had a Father in Heaven who loved me so much that He sent His Son to die in my place so that I could spend eternity with Him. It was by His mercy and grace alone that I was placed in His kingdom and my name was written in the Lamb's Book of Life---not by works that I had done. There was such freedom and release from bondage when I fully understood the depth of the love of my Heavenly Father.

It was not until that comprehension of God's love for me that I could in turn lay aside all my fears and insecurities and love my earthly father the way God intended. All my fears of dad disappeared and I was able to fellowship with him in Christ until his death last year. Those last years of dad's life were precious to me and what a joy it will be when I shall see dad again in heaven.

Your relationship with your earthly father often dictates how you respond to your Heavenly Father. If you are a father yourself, remember that you are an example of how your own children will perceive and respond to God. Do they see God as their security and hope? If they feel secure and protected by you as their earthly dad, they can more easily transfer those feelings and experiences to realize God's presence with them throughout their lives. Be a godly dad to your children!

Happy Father's Day to all dads!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home