Friday, June 01, 2007

Homesickness

Lately I've been feeling a bit of homesickness for Maui, my home, my little flower garden, our precious 15-year-old cat, Trouble, and our church family. I'm missing my son and his precious family on Oahu. In the opposite way, when I'm in Maui for a length of time, I find I get homesick for my home in West Virginia, too---the familiarity, the memories of happy times in the past, being with my mom and sisters, etc., the country road to walk. I think that by going back "home" I can capture some of the freedoms I felt as a child growing up in the country with my parents, sisters and cousins. When I am here, memories rush in so often of the activities as a child that gave me so much joy.

But I have come to realize that you can't really go back home and be that child again. I have also come to realize that the home we establish as adults wherever we have chosen to settle should never give us our final security. Yes, we work hard to make our home our comfort zone. I love to make my home accessible to family and friends where they can feel comfortable. It is a blessing and a gift of God that He has allowed us the privilege of owning a home where we find shelter and a place we can offer others a place of refuge, if needed.

I must remind myself often, however, that this earth is not my home. I should not plant my roots too deeply here in this earthly soil. I should not place my entire security in the home that God has given us the ability to own here. Just as the song goes, "This world is not my home. I'm just a passing thru". This earthly existence is just temporary. We are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes. God has prepared a place for us that we will call home for eternity in heaven. We have not yet arrived at our final destination. Our hearts will not be completely at home until we enter that haven of rest in heaven. "I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Until we reach that final destination, God wants us to know that home is where God is. "If anyone loves me..my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." (John 14:23) He promises that where we are, He will be also. "I will never leave you or forsake you." We can have that peace and security wherever we are because He is with us.

If by chance you are somewhere where you yearn to get back home, and you are feeling so homesick and lonesome for the familiar sites, sounds, and people that you left behind, just remember that God is always there to gather you in His arms and help you to feel at home in Him where you are. He is Immanuel, God with us. You will never be alone, and He wants so much for you to know that when you are with HIm, you are home!

Jesus is the way to home!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home