Saturday, May 12, 2007

Happy Mothers Day to All Mothers

I'm sure this day is especially nostalgic for those of you whose mothers have passed on, and a void is felt as the memories of your mother prevail on this day set aside to honor mothers. The heritage she has left you and the precious memories are a part of who you are today. I remember a friend telling me that she remembers her mother's hands and when I saw the following poem, I thought I would share it with you. I hope it speaks to you, as it did to me:

BEAUTIFUL HANDS

Such beautiful, beautiful hands!
They're neither white nor small;
And you, I know, would scarcely think
That they were fair at all.
I've looked on hands whose form and hue
A sculptor's dream might be;
Yet are these aged, wrinkled hands
Most beautiful to me.

Such beautiful, beautiful hands!
Though heart were weary and sad,
These patient hands kept toiling on,
That the children might be glad.
I always weep when looking back
To childhood's distant day!
I think how those hands rested not
When mine were at their play.

Such beautiful, beautiful hands!
They're growing feeble now,
And time and pain have left their mark
On hand, and heart and brow.
Alas! Alas! the nearing time--
And the sad, sad day to me,
When 'neath the daisies, out of sight,
These hands must folded be.

But, oh! Beyond the shadowy lands,
Where all is bright and fair,
I know full well these dear old hands
Will palms of victory bear;
When crystal streams, through endless years,
Flow over golden sands,
And where the old are young again,
I'll clasp my mother's hands!
(By Emma M.H. Gates)

As we age, we appreciate so much more the sacrifice our mothers made for us growing up, and the love and energy spent to make life worthwhile for her children. Maybe there's regret that we didn't let our mothers know enough how much they meant to us. It's a blessing to know that in eternity we will be able to see our loved ones again and to share heaven's joys together. If your mother is still with you, don't let time go by without letting her know how much she has meant to you. As I have the privilege of being here in West Virginia to spend Mother's Day with Mom, I feel grateful and humbled that God has given us one more Mother's Day to share together. What a blessing!

Enjoy your special day, moms!
Sandy

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Happy Mother's Day Mom! We'll be calling soon!

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home