Friday, May 18, 2007

My Sister's Herb Garden

"I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyards of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stonewall was in ruins." (Proverbs 24:30-31)

My sister's herb garden sits between my house and hers. She is away for the summer and her herb garden had lain dormant over the winter months, and now was covered with dead plants and growing weeds that were overtaking the herbs that were trying to grow through the entanglement. I knew my sister would be disappointed if all her hard work and money would be ruined if the weeds took over and choked out her beautiful herbs. So I spent yesterday weeding her small patch so that the herbs could grow to their full potential. Although she will not be able to enjoy its beauty this summer, my family and I will reap the benefit of its beauty and aroma, as will the butterflies and birds who love to "visit" often. It reminds me of God's provision for His creation which is truly amazing:

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them."

Gardening has been a part of my heritage for as long as I can recall. My grandfather gardened to provide for his family, as did my parents. As young girls, my sisters and I spent most of the summers alongside Mom and Dad planting, weeding, hoeing, picking and canning the delicious vegetables grown each year in my parents' garden. The garden food was often our means of survival. We ate the vegetables in their abundance during the peak of the season, and canned what we needed to help get us through the winters.

Proverbs 28:19: "Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred."

Proverbs 10:4-5: "Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth. He who gathers crops in summer is a wise son..."

Mom's gardening days are over, as the work throughout the summer is too hard and laborious for her. However, maybe with my sister's small little herb garden, we can still enjoy seeing small plants grow, smell their glorious aroma, and enjoy picking a few to put in soups and sauces. The weeding and the work will bring satisfaction in the end, and the birds and the butterflies will reap from its beauty and aroma as well.

Proverbs 28:19: "He wo works his land will have abundant food.." and I might add, great satisfaction.

When you eat a big juicy tomato or enjoy fresh green beans or eat an ear of sweet corn this summer, be reminded of God's great provision to those who labored so hard to get it to you.

Happy eating!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home