Sunday, June 10, 2007

Bryan's 6th Grade Graduation

Our oldest grandson, Bryan, just went through his 6th grade graduation and next year he will be a teenager and in middle school. Congratulations, Bryan! We are so very proud of you! But where did the time go? It seems only yesterday that Rich was just a baby and now he is the father of two boys. I remember so well Bryan's birth and his first year of life. I kept a diary of his first year recording every smile, every bubble blown, first coo, first steps, etc. and gave the diary to Rich and Emily as a Christmas gift. I remember Rich--and I remember Bryan, as a baby as if it were yesterday. The time passes so quickly. I saw this poem by a mother that speaks what is in every mother's heart as she sees her child grow up. I want to share it with you.

A Touch of Love
By Cindy Zelinski

You were six months old and full of fun
With a blink of an eye, you were suddenly one.
There were so many things we were going to do,
But I turned my head, and you turned two.
At two you were very dependent on me,
But independence took over when you turned three.
Your third birthday; another year I tried to ignore,
But when I lit the candles, there weren't three, but four.
Four was the year that you really strived,
Why, look at you now; you're already five!
Now you are ready for books and rules,
This is the year that you go to school!
The big day came, you were anxious to go,
We walked to the bus, going, oh, so slow.
As you climbed aboard and waved goodby,
I felt a lump in my throat, and tears stung my eye.
Time goes so fast; it is hard to believe,
That just yesterday, you were home here with me.
And tomorrow when the bus brings you home, and you jump to the ground,
You'll be wearing your cap and graduation gown.
So I'm holding to the moments as hard as I can,
Because the next time I look, I'll be seeing a man.

We, as mothers, are never ready to see our sons and daughters grow up, but that is the rightful cycle of life. We cannot hold them too closely, but we must teach them how to handle life's troubles independently, with strength and courage, so that they can teach their children the same.

Soon Bryan will be grown and have children of his own. We wouldn't want it any other way! Thank you, God, for the precious gift of children that you give us. There is so much joy wrapped up in every little bundle that you choose to give to parents!

Again, congratulations, Bryan!
Nana (Sandy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home