Friday, June 08, 2007

Slaying "Self"

How big is "self" in your life? We were born with a nature that preserves self until our last breath. We allow self to be the center of our motivations and attitudes until one day we come to know Christ personally, and then self becomes less important. We now have the Person of Jesus Christ that we want to please more than self. However, we learn early in our Christian walk what the Apostle Paul learned:
"For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want." (Galatians 5:17)

What is the area of "self" in your life that keeps rearing its ugly head to be noticed and demanding its own way more than obeying Christ? I had to ask this hard question of myself recently, and the area with which I struggle the most is my need to please people. I want people to like me. I don't like being in conflict with any one person. It hurts me deeply when I learn that someone doesn't like something about me. My ego is hurt, my emotions go off-balance, and my focus becomes inward and my attitudes are rotten. I realized that my need to elevate self was greater than wanting to please God. That brought me to my knees. If in my heart, my need to please God is not greater than needing to elevate self, I am in great danger. I can only move forward if I believe with all my heart that my love for God is greater than the need to be liked by others. I had to confess and ask God to slay self within me so that self would decrease and God would increase in my life. Christ desires for me to love him first, and seek His face, and allow Him to live through me so that others can see Christ in me instead of my sinful self. "The Lord stood with me and strengthened me." (II Tim. 4:17)

"Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other."
(Galatians 5:25-26)

May self decrease and God increase greater in my life!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home