Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I have quite a lot of Irish blood in me from ancestors who migrated to the United States in the 1800s. My great-great-great-grandfather was an Irish Catholic named Keenan who converted to become a Protestant when he arrived in the US and settled in then Virginia. He is buried in the churchyard of the oldest church still standing in West Virginia, a small little log cabin church with a loft built especially for men to keep a lookout for Indian raids while church services were being held. We visited the little church a couple years ago and took pictures of the tombstones of our ancestors buried in the cemetary.

My youngest sister was born on March 17 and has always celebrated her birthday with shamrock cakes, and Irish presents. She and my Aunt Eva (Mom's sister) had the same birthday and often were able to celebrate together. I called my sister this morning to wish her a happy birthday. It was snowing in West Virginia, but she celebrated with my mother and sister by eating a shamrock-decorated cake with them. Happy Birthday, Sheila!

In today's paper in Dear Abby, she quoted a cute Irish blessing that I will share with you:

May the most you wish for be the least you get.
May the best times you've ever had be the worst you'll ever see.

I, too, wish for you that from this day forward the best days will be always ahead of you. May today be the first day of the rest of your life, and may all your tomorrows be filled with all the peace and joy God alone can give you!

Top o' the mornin' to ya!
Sandy

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Ha! I love that Irish Blessing. I'll have to save that for a toast someday.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home