Friday, March 16, 2007

An Anguished Heart

The psalmist in Psalm 55:44-48 felt he had the answer for an anguished heart:

"My heart is in anguish within me; the terrors of death assail me. Fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. I said, "If I had the wings of a dove! I would fly away and be at rest--I would flee far away and stay in the desert; I would hurry to my place of shelter far from the tempest and storm."

Haven't we all felt when the world was closing in on us that if we could just run and hide or go far far away from the problem that all would be okay then? But running away never solves anything. The problem doesn't disappear and the fear never leaves by changing our location.

However, we do always have a place of shelter to run to, a refuge in which to go, a haven of rest that always welcomes us and where peace abides and fear dissipates. That is in the shelter that God provides us. We can take refuge "in the shadow of his wings" and we don't have to fly away to find it. We have a fortress, a refuge in times of trouble in Jesus.

"But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in time of trouble."
(Psalm 59:16)

Jesus is our rock, our strong tower, a very present help in the time of trouble. "Because you are my help, I will sing in the shadow of your wings; I stay close to you; your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:7)

How much better to snuggle close in the bosom of God and in the shelter of His wings than to have dove's wings and fly away! "He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." (Psalm 62:2)

May you find peace in the shelter of God's wings!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home