Sunday, November 18, 2007

Our Anchor, Jesus

Remember the plastic punching bags we used to play with as kids? No matter how hard we hit it downward, it would pop right back up because it was anchored at the bottom with a very heavy bottom that would right itself when knocked down. Boats have anchors that go deep into the floor of the ocean or river bottom that will not allow the boat to move even though the waves above may toss the boat around in a storm.

What is your anchor? Do you have something (or Someone) that you can cling to that will still the waves of the storm you are going through? All of us face circumstances that cause us to stagger and wobble and sometimes crumble at times, but does our anchor make sure that we are righted upward and straight again? We all need an anchor that will hold us steady while the waves pound us and the sea roars or fear and anxiety overtake us. Jesus alone is that anchor!

"Unless the Lord had given me help, I would soon have dwelt in the silence of death. When I said, "My foot is slipping, your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." Psalm 94:17-19.

Jesus is that anchor that we can trust to hold us upright, to secure us when we feel so unsteady, to assure us when we feel so afraid, to comfort us when we need someone to understand and care. There are many scriptures that we can claim that assure us that Jesus is there both to anchor us and uphold us.

He is our Rock!

Psalm 71:2-3: "Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; turn your ear to me and save me. Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me; for you are my rock and my fortress."

Psalm 9:9 - "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble."

Psalm 18:2 - "The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."

Psalm 31:19 - "How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you. In the shelter of your presence you hide them from the intrigues of men; in your dwelling you keep them safe from the strife of tongues."

He will hold us with his righteous right hand!

Psalm 18:16 - "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters."

Psalm 18:35 - "You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me.."

Psalm 89:13 - "Your arm is endued with power; your hand is strong, your right hand exalted."

Isaiah 41:10 - "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

When life knocks you down and you feel you will never recover from the blow, just remember--you are anchored by the Rock, the weight that will right you back up, and then His righteous right hand will hold you steady through the circumstances you are going through.

Isaiah 41:13 - "For I am the Lord your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, "Do not fear; I will help you."

My anchor holds!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home