Thursday, April 12, 2007

What A Difference A Day Makes

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth." (Proverbs 17:1)

My husband and I got up like any other day yesterday, Dick reading the paper, me doing the crossword puzzle. We idled the morning away enjoying our coffee putting off the projects we had in mind to do until just a little later.

At mid-morning, I had a checkup with my primary doctor to make sure I was okay for another six months until I returned back from our trip to West Virginia to see her again. She went over my last blood test results concerning my thyroid, and everything sounded just fine. Then she said, "there is something here I am a little concerned about. Your lymphocytes are slightly elevated from your last visit, and I think we need to get them checked out with a hematologist/oncologist." I heard oncologist and immediately stopped breathing---oncologist means cancer! When I voiced my fear, my doctor calmed me down and said that elevated lymphocytes could mean a number of things----we just need to check it out. When I informed her we were leaving for six months in two weeks, she said it would not be enough time to check things out here, but I should look for an oncologist in West Virginia---don't wait for six months until you return! That is something lovely to look forward to!

I went home determined not to panic. Dick was mowing the lawn, so by the time he got inside, I had determined in my heart not to worry until there was something to worry about. We were laughing at how we were falling apart. It wasn't an hour later when Dick began experiencing a tingly face, mouth and lips, slurring his speech slightly and feeling unbalanced. This was the fourth day that he had these symptoms and I insisted he call his doctor. The doctor insisted that we go to the emergency room right away. We did! They checked him thoroughly with an MRI, a Cat Scan, and an ultrasound on his carotid arteries. Nothing definitive showed up on the tests, but the doctors were sure that Dick's symptoms indicated TIAs that had occurred, which could lead to a possible major stroke, and he wanted to keep him overnight at the hospital for observations. After six hours in the ER, I went home alone.

"In his heart man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." (Proverbs 16:9)

This morning as I write, I have no idea what lies ahead for us. But I am confident of this one thing, whatever lies ahead, God is walking with us and will see us through whatever we must go through. I thank Him for His faithfulness, for His presence, for His promises, and for the blessing of family and friends that will support us through anything that we face. I know I have those that read this today that will pray for us, and that means the world to have our names presented before the throne of grace where all power lies!

Trusting in Him,
Sandy

3 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Thanks for the calls and keeping me updated. Our small group prayed for you both and we will continue to do so. One thing I am assured of is that no matter what road the Lord has placed you on, I know that you will seek to glorify and trust Him through every minute of it. I love you guys!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

May the knowledge of God's sovereign control over your lives and His unfathomable love for you continue to keep your hearts and minds at peace.
We're praying for you here in Kobe!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Sandy Fewell said...

Rich, Em and boys---thanks for the beautiful flowers Dad got yesterday---so springy and encouraging! Most of all thanks to the small group for praying for us.

Barb, you are always so encouraging with your notes and always bring my mind back to keeping Christ central in all things. It just so happened when all this happened that I was reading Lisa Beamer's book entitled "Let's Roll" and the courage in which she faced the loss of her husband on Flight 93 really touched my heart. In Christ, we truly can get through the toughest trials because we know He is sovereign.
Thanks to you and Mark for your prayers!

7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home