Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Thoughts on Aging

My son, Rich, wrote a cute blog yesterday on the fact that he is getting older and ready to tackle his mid-life crisis! Thinking about the brevity of life, and how fast it flies by, I began to ponder my own aging. I'm already 66. If I am very fortunate, I could have maybe 20 or so more years here on earth to enjoy---but it's likely that much of the enjoyment will be mixed in with fading hearing, eyesight, and aching joints as I age, and more dependence on others to get me through those last years on earth. In James it says: "What is life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (Jas. 4:14)

God will leave me here on this earth as long as He has a purpose for me to fulfill. I never want to lose sight of what He desires for me no matter how much longer I have here. I may only have 10 years, 5 years, or maybe just a day, but I want it to mean something for God's kingdom purposes. In Ecclesiastes, Soloman said "However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all." God created us for His pleasure, He created us that we may glorify Him in all that we do, and He desires for us to tell others about Him so that they, too, can enjoy His presence for eternity. In Psalm 71:18, the Word says, "Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, til I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come." We have a purpose no matter how long God gives us in years here on earth.

I read a beautiful devotional a while back that I keep in my Bible. I think I'll repeat most of it here:

"It is wonderful to be young, with clear sight, acute hearing, elastic step, pulses drumming to the march of exhilarating health. But old age has glories that youth cannot know. It is a blessed old age indeed if it ends brightly at evening time.
Old age celebrates the harvest--youth the sowing. Like fruit in the fall, the harvest of old age will either dry up and wither, or grow mellow and sweeter as it ripens. You cannot escape the advancing years. Youth stays long enough only to strengthen our shoulders for the burdens ahead. Life leads inevitably to the evening time. But the best things are the oldest things--things that have endured and stood the test of time. So don't be ashamed to own your age. Everything that abides must become old: mountains, rivers, oceans, stars. But the evening time of life can be bright only if we have the One who is the Light as our evening Sun. Nothing is sweeter than a gently mellowing Christian, still growing and resting in Christ as he faces God's tomorrow with confidence."

Rich, you can have your mid-life crisis---have fun with it! But how far better to grow mellow in the Lord and finally be at rest and at peace in knowing you walked with Jesus by your side the whole way through life, and finding that deep abiding joy only He can give, and passing that knowledge on to your boys!

Getting older but finding joy in it!
Sandy

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

That was awesome Mom! What a great perspective and a tremendous treasure to hear from you. Thank you!

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home