Thursday, April 19, 2007

Living Less Selfishly

It seems to me that people as a whole today are becoming more self-absorbed. There are T-shirts and bumper stickers with the phrase "It's all about me." Psychologists are encouraging people to find that inner you and do what pleases that inner self, even at the expense of others, i.e. divorce, gay relationships, etc. " Follow your dream, follow your heart." Our heart often leads us to become very selfish in our own human nature.

How differently Christ taught us! He came to serve, and not to be served. He always did what he did because of his love for others, not because he was following his selfish desires or his own personal dreams. In Phil. 2:3-4, God's word says: "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

There's a beautiful old hymn written in 1907 by Charles Miegs that is entitled "Others." I've often thought how wonderful it would be if this hymn would be my life motto. It would take much to live up to it!

OTHERS

Lord, help me live from day to day
In such a self-forgetful way
That even when I kneel to pray
My prayer shall be for --Others.

Help me in all the work I do
To ever be sincere and true
And know that all I'd do for you
Must needs be done for -- Others.

Let Self be crucified and slain
And buried deep: and all in vain
May efforts be to rise again,
Unless to live for -- Others.

And when my work on earth is done
And my new work in heaven's begun
May I forget the crown I've won
While thinking still of-- Others.

Chorus:

Others, Lord, yes Others,
Let this my motto be
Help me to live for others
That I may live like Thee.

When we get so wrapped up in ourselves and our own needs, wants and desires, we fail to see the people around us who are hurting, yearning for someone to come alongside and care. We need to make a greater effort to be sensitive to those around us who may need a hug, a smile, a listening ear. Who knows what our efforts may do to cause another to see Christ?

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.....Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you." (Romans 12:2a and 3b)

Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home