Saturday, December 02, 2006

Faith vs. Worry

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Yesterday I was told I was an "optimist" and I had to smile, because all of my life I've had to fight great battles against pessimism. I come from a family of worriers who taught me to always look for the other shoe to fall when something good happened--"it won't last." If there was beautiful sunnshine out today, then I was told "Oh, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow." When I became a Christian, ridding myself of the propensity to worry was one of my greatest challenges.

Worry is the exact opposite of faith. In fact, God tells us so many times in His word, "Do not worry", "Do not fret", but BELIEVE. Faith is the direct opposite of worry. We cannot worry and have faith. We cannot have faith and worry. It's impossible. God tells us not to worry about tomorrow. He wants us to enjoy and rejoice in today. "This is the day the Lord has made; rejoice and be glad in it." Enjoy the sunshine of today. If it rains tomorrow, then you can enjoy the rain, for it will then be "today." Worry pulls tomorrow's clouds over today's sunshine.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matthew 6:27. Worry just takes the joy out of your life and causes health hazards. Stress is one of the largest medical hazards to health these days.

Optimism in life is to be anchored by faith and hope if it is to be long-lasting. We can be optimistic about anything short-term, but it is optimism based on belief in God's Word, and our faith and hope in it, that is lasting and forever.

Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Sandy

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

That was perfect timing. Thanks for the encouraging word.

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home