Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Catching Up and Moving Forward

Please forgive me for not keeping up with my blogging over the holidays, but each day was so full and I wanted to soak in every moment of the blessings God sent our way over the holidays. I was so blessed wiith having family with us for two weeks prior to Christmas: my niece (Lisa) from West Virginia, her daughter, Arley, Arley's brother from California, and our son and his family of 4. The days were spent with all the Christmas traditions that I hold specially dear to my heart each year---my angel tree filled to the brim this year with angels gifted to me over the years, lights inside and out, red and green everywhere, with baking cookies, fruit cake, writing my Christmas letter, receiving so many wonderful cards in return, mostly planning three meals a day and eating way too much for two weeks! My greatest joy of all was when 8 of us filled a whole row at both the Sunday morning service at church and the Monday Christmas Eve service prior to Christmas. It allowed us as a family to focus on the glorious fact of Jesus' birth and what His leaving glory to come to earth on our behalf really means to each of us individually. We had lots of laughter, lots of relaxing times in front of an open fire in the fireplace, with hot cocoa in the evenings warming our noses, eager anticipation of the Christmas morning and presents, and a wonderful meal later on. As Mom, Nana, and Auntie, I reveled in the warmth of family----thus, I did not take the time to blog. For some reason, I think you'll understand.

A new year is now here, a time to focus on new goals and recommiting ourselves to accomplishing those goals. My number one goal each year always seems to be to get more healthy by eating better, exercising more and losing weight. Every other year I commit myself to read the Bible through. This is the year I begin again to accomplish that goal. As I grow older, it seems more necessary to read the Word with the idea of planting it deep within my heart so that when I need it, it comes to the surface more readily. This old brain is getting slower and slower and I need to "exercise" the brain to capture God's Word to a greater degree.

There is so much in God's Word that brings comfort and peace, especially as we face a world that is far from peaceful. In reading the days of Noah just this morning, I was impressed at what God found acceptable in Noah to allow him and his family to be saved from destruction from the flood. Gen. 6:9:..."And Noah was a righteous man, blameless among the people of his time, and he walked with God." Verse 22: "Noah did everything just as God commanded him." Noah was a man committed to following God and His commands. As we face the new year, we need to recommit ourselves to following God and His plan for us. It is becoming harder and harder for Christians to stand firm in their beliefs and trust God to bring good out of the chaos we see around us everywhere, but we must if we are to receive God's favor! I pray for strength and courage for every Christian to stand firm and walk with God so that you might be blameless and find hope and security in 2008!

Happy New Year!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home