Saturday, December 01, 2007

Do You Know Where Your Children Are?

In West Virginia, the mayor of Charleston would come on television every evening at 10:00 pm pointing his finger at the camera and say "It is 10 o'clock--do you know where your children are?" It was very poignant and hopefully parents in the area would respond with a positive answer regarding curfew for their teenage children.

My techie son, Rich, is now blogging with a program called "Twitter", which basically is a mini-journal of his activities throughout the day. Sometimes he jots down something every hour, sometimes sooner, sometimes hours apart, but as a Mom, it allows me to "know where my child is." Even though Rich is very adult, very responsible, and very mature, a mother always way down deep in her heart wants to know that her child is okay. It is a warm, fuzzy feeling and gives me comfort that I know where my child is throughout the day because of this technological means called "Twitter".

God knows where His children are at all times. He knows where we are physically. "You know when I sit and when I rise.....Where can I flee from your presence? If I go to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there." Psalm 139:2a and 7-8. There is never a time, day or night, that God doesn't know where you are and He will be there for you if you call out to Him, either to praise Him or to ask for His help and mercy.

He also knows where we are spiritually. He knows our hearts inside and out, and nothing we do, say, or think surprises Him. "You perceive my thoughts from afar." (Ps. 139:2b). "Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord." (Ps. 139: 4) "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast are the sum of them. Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand." (Ps. 139:17, 18) Why do we make such a concerted effort to try to "hide" from God. He knows us so intimately, and wants us to acknowledge our needs before Him. He wants our openness, and wants us to realize our freedom to go to Him about anything. That's basically what prayer is about. When we bow our knees before Him, and acknowledge that we love Him, that we are dependent on Him for everything in our lives, that we need Him and can't live life alone without Him, that's when God can minister to us His grace and allow us closeness with Him. When we neglect to admit that we are needy, we are missing out on that deep intimate fellowship with Him. God created us because He desired that fellowship with us. He wants to be truly our Friend closer than a brother. So often we hold our self-sufficient arm out to protect us from getting too close----why? He knows us inside and out and still loves us with such eternal love and all He desires from us is to love Him in return and for us to desire to be with Him.

God knows where His children are!
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home