Friday, January 19, 2007

The Golden Rule

Some of you got up this morning dreading to go to work because you anticipate experiencing a hard time from a fellow co-worker, or you expect the boss to demand something from you that you don't feel capable of doing. Maybe you're a college student struggling with a difficult class or teacher, or a teacher struggling with a difficult student and you got up this morning dreading to face another day of struggle. Maybe you're a parent that doesn't know how to talk to your teenager anymore, or you're a teenager who thinks their parents don't understand them anymore. All of us face situations with other human beings wherein we struggle with communication and understanding as a normal pattern.

The Golden Rule is as applicable today as it was when God gave it to us in his word: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The Golden Rule is God's rule. Today spread a heaping helping of kindness wherever you go. Treat others that God places in your path with the same respect and kindness that you would like to receive from them. Make forgiveness a cornerstone of your dealings with others; be generous with your time and your possessions. When you do, you'll discover that the more kindness you give away to others, the more you'll receive in return. Give a smile to the grocery clerk, to the bank teller, to the bus driver, to the receptionist---to whomever you might run into at any given moment. See what a smile might do to change the person's whole outlook on their day. You can become a shining example to all you meet. By the way, people are watching you, and they are learning from you. What is your attitude teaching others as you go into your normal day today?

"Love covers a multitude of sins." (I Peter 4:8) "Therefore, if your enemy hungers, feed him; if he thirsts, give him water; for in doing so, you shall heap coals of kindness on his head. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:20-21)

God wants us to change our attitudes, and our attitudes then can possibly change others!
Sandy

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Dear Sandy,
I came to your "spot" today in particular need of spiritual encouragement. Thank you for your timely words ... they were just what I needed to hear.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Sandy Fewell said...

Hi Barb---I have been thinking about you since I learned from Emily that you were home recently for your Dad's hospital stay. I can empathize with you so much about having to be so far away when you feel so needed by your parents. I have been through this dilemma now for over five years. I just thanked God so much that I was at a place in my life where I could go for long stretches of time to be with Dad before he passed away last March. I count those times with him as precious and so glad I was there for him when he needed Dick and me so much. But every time it was necessary to leave them, I felt such a tremendous struggle as if I was being pulled apart---wanting so much to stay with Mom and Dad but knowing that I needed to be with my husband who was my first priority (under God's design). If you are feeling that kind of struggle now with having to be so far from your Dad and Mom, I will be praying fervently that God will bring peace to your heart. It's such a relief to know that God does not lead us where He will not provide for us what we need, and that He is in sovereign control. I'm always so pleased to hear from you and read your wonderful blog---you do such a great job. I pray God will bless you and your family there in Japan with much fruit for your labor!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home