Friday, December 22, 2006

Soaring with Eagles

I miss my dad this Christmas! He went home to be with the Lord in March, and there hasn't been a day go by that I haven't thought of him fondly since then. Living in Hawaii and he and Mom in West Virginia was always hard. Every time I'd call and Dad would come on the phone, almost his first sentence would be "When are you coming home?" Even though there's a void in my heart this year, it is marvelous to remember that Dad is HOME! God finally said, "Omar, come home!"

Dad was a preacher, and many people expressed to me at the funeral services that they still remember so many of Dad's sermons, especially a sermon based on Isaiah 40 about eagles. His favorite verse in the Bible was Isaiah 40:31: "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not faint." It is good for me this Christmas season to visualize Dad soaring with the eagles. He is free, wondrously free!

Christ came to a little town in Bethlehem as a baby so that at the proper time, he would die on a cruel cross as our sacrifice for payment of our sins. He conquered death and rose again from the grave so that we might not taste of death, but have eternal life with him. Now that's freedom! We are free, not bound by sin, but free to experience all that God offers us through His Son! Let us humbly bow before Christ and thank Him for allowing us to know Him as Savior and Lord this Christmas. We, too, will soar with the eagles one day, all because God sent His Son as a little baby to be born in Bethlehem!

Praising Him!
Sandy

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aunt Sandy, as I read your post about the eagle sermon with tears in my eyes, I can remember as a just a tiny girl, sitting in that pew fascinated; watching Papaw Nichols stand beside the pulpit and demonstrate how God would sweep up his children and place them under his wing when they were in trouble. My favorite sermon. I miss Papaw too.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home