Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Unplanned Blessing

My husband and I woke up yesterday on Maui to an unbelievably beautiful day. The skies were deep blue, not a cloud in sight. The soft trade breezes were blowing, and even the air smelled fresh! The only plans we knew we had for the day was to go to the polls and vote. As we drove up the mountain to Makawao, I kept saying, "Isn't this a beautiful day?"

After we voted, I asked my husband if we couldn't take a ride upcountry. We drove up to Kula, stopped at a little place called Grandma's Coffee House, and had coffee enjoying the free time we had. When we got back in the truck, I casually mentioned to my husband to look at how clear Haleakala Mountain was--you could see it in such detail! Very spontaneously, Dick said, well, let's drive up, at least part of the way. We ended up on the very narrow, windy road that leads to PoliPoli Park, a placee that is about 7,000 feet on the side of Haleakala, and a place our family has enjoyed hiking in the past with our son and good friends. It winds up and up these switchback curves where your taillight almost meets the front headlight of your own vehicle. Then the tiny little paved road ends and you are driving on a dirt road with many twists and turns, and lots of potholes. Finally we make it to our destination, PoliPoli Park. From the park, there are walking trails that head deep into big high pine trees that block out most of the sky and that would eventually run into a redwood forest (YES, in Hawaii!)----beautiful serene setting for quieting the soul and meditating on what's important in life!

We sat on a log along the trail listening to the wind high up in the pines, occasionally a tree rubbing against another that screeched a little giving us notice that life was all around us, and birds singing and answering each other's calls. It brought my heart to a stillness that is so missing in our lives. It brought my mind to meditating on God's beautiful originality in creating this spot in a little corner of His world. It caused me to wonder why we don't expose ourselves to these beautiful moments more often in our daily walk of life. There is beauty all around us no matter where we live. Take time to stop and see what beauty lies around you, let it soak in that God is magnificent in His creativity, and wants us to know His presence in the world in which He has placed us.

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." Psalm 19:1
"O Lord. our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth....when I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?" Psalm 8:3, 4 The answer to that question is that He, our Lord, knows us so intimately that He knows the numbers of hairs on our head. The psalmist noted that God "created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body....How precious to me are your thoughts, O God." Psalm 139:13,15

With the same creativity that He created our beautiful world, He also created you and you are wonderfully made! Praise Him today for His creation! God didn't make "no junk."!

Praising Him,
Sandy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home